Sunday, December 02, 2007

Winter Challenge

Ok, you can say what you want, but eating raw, cold foods in the midst of a winter snow storm is a bit difficult. All week I have been OK during the day because I have been staying in the house for the most part and not going out in the cold weather. Well it was a little different today because I was out in the cold, blowing wind with the snow and the sleet and when I got home the last thing I felt like eating was a salad. This is when I begin to wonder what is the best approach.


Anyway, here is what I ate for the last two days:

Friday: Breakfast Green smoothie with banana, spinach and orange with some ground flax seeds thrown in.

Lunch Nori rolls with sunflower seed pate, carrots, cucumber, and red pepper.

Dinner:Sauteed Broccoli Rabe with garlic and olive oil

Saturday: Breakfast Green smoothie with banana, spinach, and orange with flax seeds

Lunch: Cooked vegetable soup

Dinner: Cranberry fruit salad and later some cooked butternut squash

I had some friend over last night and they were all eating pizza that my husband made, drinking beer, eating pita chips and Oreo cake. I decided to make the fruit salad so I could feel like I was getting a treat for myself and I shared it with them. They really liked it.

It is funny to talk about eating raw with people. One of the men seemed genuinely interested. He rides his bike a lot and takes good care of himself so he was asking legitimate questions. The funny thing is the talk of protein. He has read many health magazines and he was giving me the proper amount of grams of protein needed to keep muscle mass.

I told him about Tim Van Orden and his quest for the Olympics while eating a raw vegan diet and how we don't need as much protein as we've been told. I talked about amino acids being the building blocks of protein and that if you eat enough green leafy vegetables you will be able to make the protein.

He listened respectfully and I don't think it convinced him :o) I sent him the link to Tim's website so he can check it out for himself. After all, we all have to find our own way and I know that this way of life is so bizarre to people who are only exposed to mainstream ideas. At least we had an intelligent and thought provoking conversation rather than some of the other conversations I have had with friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ooh baby raw foodist, welcome!

I have many years and am fruitarian now.

Suvine.com is my blog