Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Some fun experimenting.




















I don't know what has come over me but I have been perusing the net for raw recipes. I am suddenly overwhelmed with the urge to make all kinds of things. It started with the flax crackers, then some faux popcorn, then the carrot burgers, then a sort of Spanish rice concoction and finally some raw cookie dough.

I am out of control. I feel this powerful pull to make this food. It is strange because while I had a green smoothie for breakfast this morning I didn't have any of the green juice I have been enjoying before today. It is like the prepared dishes took the place of them. I barely had any greens today.

I don't think this is good. I need to make sure I get my greens and more water. Tomorrow if I still feel compelled to create than I will commit to at least one smoothie and one green juice. Good compromise. I am all about balance these days.
---------------------------------------------------------------

So now about what I ate today. Hee hee, so much good stuff.

Here is how I make my flax crackers.

I soak the flax seed in water for a while to get them all nice and goopy. (I use the golden and the brown because I like the look of both of them mixed together)

Then I throw the following things in my food processor

  • tomatoes

  • onion

  • garlic

  • lime juice

  • cilantro

  • salt and pepper

  • ground flax seed (to get my omega 3s)
I mix that all together and then add the flax seeds and mix again.

I spread out onto my teflex sheets and dehydrate. Once they are firm I flip them and wait until they are nice and crispy. I usually leave them overnight.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The popcorn substitute was really good too. I don't know if it tasted like popcorn but it was good nonetheless. I got the recipe here but it is pretty simple. I cut the cauliflower up into small pieces and dehydrated. Then I added a little olive oil and some nutritional yeast and viola!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's see, the carrot burgers came from Alissa Cohen's book. They are a favorite of mine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Spanish rice was a combination of recipes I have seen on the web.

I chopped up cauliflower in the food processor until it resembled rice.

Then I chopped up and added the following:

  • yellow pepper

  • red pepper

  • onion

  • cilantro

  • carrot

  • sun dried tomato

  • mushrooms
I made a sauce with avocado, lime juice, garlic, cumin, paprika, turmeric, chili powder, more cilantro, and some salt and pepper. I mixed it with the veggies and that's it. It was pretty good but a bit strong tasting for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, the yummiest thing I ate today was the raw cookie dough recipe I got off freshtopia. You can watch a great video that shows it being made here. Wow was it good.

I ran some cashews through my juicer to make cashew butter and added some agave, vanilla, salt and cacao nibs. Delicious.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Besides eating and un-cooking I have been working on my Christmas card. I am excited about it and can't wait to get it done. I will post it when I finish.



So I am off to make lunches for the kiddies and get some sleep.

1 comment:

Val Cox said...

ooh, nice recipies! My sister makes a (raw) chocolate pudding with avocados and cashews and all sorts of things you wouldn't expect, but it looks and tasts wonderful!