Friday, December 07, 2007

Tummy Troubles

Picture is a mayan diety holding a cacao pod.

I bought some raw cacao and fo ti yesterday. I decided to make a chocolate shake that is supposed to taste like a frozen coffee. I have been missing my coffee lately. In the beginning the tea was taking the place and now I am off all caffeine tea and only drinking herbal tea. It just doesn't cut it. I miss that bite to the drinks. There is a sharp bit when you drink coffee and some teas that is lacking in the softer herbal teas. I don't quite know how else to explain it so that is the best I can say.

The recipe called for maca and they didn't have any at the store I went to so I substituted cashews. Let me tell you, it tasted pretty darn good. It didn't have that bite but it was still very tasty. It was more like a creamy chocolate than a coffee and I enjoyed it.

The problem was that I started to feel a bit sick after drinking it My stomach got a little bloated and I was getting waves of nausea. I rested on the couch for a while and I noticed that my stomach was pretty bloated for hours. It didn't feel good and later after I ate dinner I could feel a case of heartburn brewing just under the surface.

Since I have never had the raw chocolate or the fo ti it could be either one of those that did it. I also remembered from the last time I went raw that almond milk used to give me a similar sick feeling so it could be the nuts. I am going to experiment to find out what is causing the problem.

Of course in reality I am probably better off without things like that in my diet. I guess it is just nice to have something to occasionally treat myself with. Hmmmm I guess that is a pretty emotional response to eating and must have some subconscious origin. I think that is a good starting point for some kind of process to uncover the source. I will make a note.

My eating was pretty bad today thanks to the drink but here goes:
Breakfast- banana
Snack - 2 oz of wheatgrass (from Jamba Juice)
Lunch- coffee drink
Dinner- Salad with romaine, cilantro, orange, pine nuts, avocado, orange miso dressing.






No comments: