Thursday, May 01, 2008

Special Meals


I made a new pate for lunch and put it in a collard wrap today. I made the Save the Tuna pate from Ani Phyo's Book . I put double the amount of dulse and I ended up sprinkling some more on the wrap as I ate it. It just didn't have much flavor. I blanched my collard leaves like Kevin Gianni does and combined the pate with tomatoes and spinach. It worked pretty good and the taste was OK. I wouldn't say I was in love with but it certainly was filling.

I actually prepared ahead again by making the pate in the morning and blanching the collards before I left for yoga. When I got back it was so easy to wrap them up and dig in. I was planning on bringing them to the movies with me to eat there but I was hungry so I decided to go ahead and eat a bit early. It was probably better because they ended up being pretty messy. I think the tomato was watery and it dripped out all over. What a mess that would have been in a dark theater.
For dinner I had a marinated portobello mushroom with cauliflower mash and mushroom gravy and a romaine salad with tomato and avocado. The recipe came from the same book as above. I put it all in a "to-'go" container and brought it with me to my son's baseball game. The verdict is still out on this one. It was good but I'm not sure I would make it again. I don't know how to explain it. Too much olive oil I think.
Before I broke my juice feast I went to Ikea to help my mom plan her home office. While I was there I picked up a few things for my kitchen. I bought myself a new set of plates, just for me. I bought 1 round bowl, 1 square bowl plate combo thing, and 1 square plate. I know it's weird to buy just one set of plates but we have plenty of plates and no one else cares what the eat their food on. In fact, I've seen my kids just put their food on the table without any kind of plate (sandwiches). They are heathens. :o)

Anyway, I wanted my meals to feel special so I got the plates just for me. It has really been nice. I love to make the meal look pretty. I put it in one of my cool new white plates, put a little garnish on it and viola I feel like I have just been served something wonderful from a gourmet restaurant. I love it!
When I take my food with me I like to try and make it look nice too. It doesn't always happen but the plate above looks great and I ate it on the go. While I was eating it a woman commented on how good it smelled. My husband said it looked like steak so I am thinking that is pretty successful.
So if you want to make your meals a bit more special take a second to arrange the plate and you can even splurge and find something you love to eat off. You deserve it!


3 comments:

Lisa (Pixywinks) said...

Does that Save the Tuna paté have nuts in it? I'm trying to stay fairly low-fat raw, and I don't want to make things consistently that use a lot of fat. I've been thinking about getting Ani's book, but I don't know if I will be able to make a lot of the recipes. I guess I should see if Barne's and Noble has it so I can look through it.
XO
Pixy Lisa

Hanlie said...

You are rocking this food thing! It looks great! I'll have to try collard greens when I'm in the States.

Michelle said...

Hey Lisa, the pate is made with sunflower seeds but it also has carrots, celery, onion and parsley in it. Probably better than the ginger pate which is supposed to be just almonds (I used sunflower seeds for that too). You'll have to take a look at the book and see if it fits into your style of eating.

Hanlie, do you really not have collards either? You must have something similar. It's so funny how different things can be.

xo