Thursday, May 08, 2008

Ramblings

Every night my husband and I start the routine of preparation for the next day. We get the kids' lunches ready and we prepare all the ingredients for the morning smoothies. My husband likes to make his smoothie at night, put it in a mason jar and put it in the freezer. I don't think you're supposed to freeze them and I told him but he says it works so what the heck.


For a long time I wasn't preparing mine at night and then one day I realized it was crazy to do the work twice and now when I go to have my smoothie each morning I just throw all the cut up stuff in the blender and flip it on. So easy!

I've also been making an extra glass of smoothie each morning and leaving it in the fridge for an afternoon snack. I like to have it ready to go without any preparation. It's like a bonus!


More, More, More

I was so excited when my grocery store had kale in stock again. It's been 2 weeks with nothing. Boo hoo. I decided to make James Russell's Wilted Kale with Chipotle Dressing because I've been waiting...well, 2 weeks to try it.


The recipe calls for 4 heads of kale. I don't care how much it wilts, I can't eat that by myself so I decided not to halve it, but to quarter it. One bunch of kale. I also didn't have any hemp seeds so I used sesame seeds. I took a series of pictures to document the process.


I titled this More, More, More because I felt like every step of the way that is what this dish needed, more. In defense of the recipe, I think if I followed the recipe as written it probably would have tasted better.


Here are my mores:

1. Massaging. I think I should have massaged the kale longer and maybe even let it sit out and marinate for a while like I do with my broccoli rabe. I didn't like the raw taste I would get from time to time while eating it. Blech. I've marinated kale before but I've never had it taste like this before. Massage your kale a long time people. And when you think you're done, massage it some more.


2. Tomatoes - I would have like a bunch more tomatoes in my salad. Maybe if the kale tasted better I wouldn't have wanted more tomatoes but as it was I threw some more in after I started eating it.

3. Just more - I think I would have liked a bit more taste. The chipotle taste was good but I would have liked more. I think it would have benefitted from some garlic or pepper or something. I was thinking about adding more stuff to it as I was making it but as I said before I like the idea of trying things the way they are intended so I know where to go from there.


I usually rate all the things I make with stars. I would rate this one about 2 1/2 out of 4 but with some tweaking I know it would be just what I like. I will also make notes on recipes so that the next time I make it I know what to do differently. It has come in handy many times.

On the Go
I am the queen of eating on the go. I used to be so good at GO-ing to the drive thru or GO-ing to get pizza. Now I am the queen of raw food on the go! I only had a few minutes to prepare before I ran out the door for my son's baseball game today. I mean seriously, it was probably about 10 minutes. In that time I managed to make zucchini noodles, slice up and massage some mushrooms and spinach, and sprinkle on some pine nuts.

I packed it in a container (plastic- bad- I know) and grabbed a container of marinara I had ready and bam! I was out the door.

Now, that probably doesn't seem so fantastic BUT I also managed to get 4 bags of snacks made for my little guys, get the dogs put away, corral the kids to go to the bathroom, get their sweatshirts, coats, baseball mitts, shoes on and loaded in the car. I also got my husband's extra clothes ready, grabbed my coat, packed waters, and got everything in the car and ready to go. Whew! I amaze myself sometimes.


I guess what I am trying to say is that eating a raw and living foods diet doesn't have to be hard. It can be simple and it can be easy. It can be great. If I can do it, anyone can.






7 comments:

Ben Kaelan said...

Did I mention I feel kinda bad that I missed out on your transition while I was MIA from blog world? *hugs*

I love your posts! Thanks for doing pictures too! That rocks!

I really need to try a wilted kale salad. I'll confess: I'm afraid!

We must be on the same vibrational level today because I made myself a spinach salad with marinated oyster mushrooms :) *giggles*

- Ben

HiHoRosie said...

You are a rawkin Mom! A multi-tasker! Wow, I'm really impressed with what you got accomplished in TEN MINUTES! Wow.

And thanks for the review on the salad. I've always been a little hesitant to make a kale salad - I will try one some day, I really will! - but I liked your review and tips. Very helpful. What you ended up with though looks super good! And extra garlic and pepper to anything is a smart move IMO. :)

Hanlie said...

I'm going to come to you for mommy lessons! You're SuperMom! Must be all that Raw Energy!

I am pining for smoothies, but my blender blew up recently, almost taking the house with it. And of course we're not buying any electrical appliances right now... Maybe I can save the old one!

Penni said...

I think this is may well be a big part of your calling....teaching people who are busy how to incorporate the raw food diet into their lives. I mean, if you can do it, anyone can. Think about it....talk to mom about it *wink*

You are awesome!
Penni

Lisa (Pixywinks) said...

You are amazing! Totally amazing! That's all I can say right now.
XO
Pixy Lisa

Michelle said...

You guys are all so sweet. I am blushing with all your gushing. Thanks everyone!
xo

Sarah said...

I've never managed to like kale much either! (except cooked to death). :) What does massaging mean anyway?

I agree, raw can be as simple or as complicated as you make it to be! I'm the QUEEN of lazy, can't even remember the last time I made a salad, let alone a recipe.

Kudos to you for doing this for yourself when your family isn't doing it with you (yet). I imagine it must not be easy!