Sunday, May 18, 2008

Weekend Happenings


My mom came over to watch the kids for me last night. On her way over she called and asked if I had anything for her to eat or did she have to stop and pick something up. I told her that I just made a big batch of cauliflower curry that she could have. She said, "Oh, OK. Do you have anything else in case I don't like it?" Hmmm, nothing like confidence right?

She liked it though and I did too. It had good flavor and the sweet sauce that was on it really gave it a nice contrast. Yum.

So what do my husband and I do when we have a babysitter? We drive 1 hour so my husband can play soccer! Ha ha, lots of fun right? Oh well, it wasn't too bad and to make it up to me he took me to the Borrowed Earth Cafe for dinner. He had the Burrito Loco and I had the Lasagna. We split a glorious apple pie for dessert and I took some cookies home and I ate them today. Yum.

I found out that the cookies they are serving are from Everyday Raw by Matthew Kenny. I am so excited and I just have to get that book now. If you have it, make the chocolate cookies. They are delicious!

We went to the movies and saw What Happens in Vegas. It was OK. It was a bit overacted, predictable and corny but it was fun and sometimes it's nice to watch something light hearted. I wouldn't see it again but I didn't want to poke my eyes out either. Although, I started to doze off a bit near the end but in my defense it was 11:30 and I only slept about 5 hours the night before.

Today was a busy baseball day. My son Devin (the 10 year old) had a double header so I spent 5 hours out at the field. It was friggin freezing! I had on long underwear, a long sleeved shirt, fleece sweatshirt, winter jacket, hat, gloves, and I sat in a mummy sleeping bag. Brrrrrr. I brought along a green smoothie for my food.

I will be spending every Sunday like this for quite a while. He is going to have double headers every Sunday. Let's just hope the weather gets better soon. I mean it is the second half of May and I want it to warm up for goodness sake!

I have once again been reading Making a Living Without a Job . I read it once a long time ago and I decided that I should probably dive into it again to help motivate me for my career aspirations. I like the book because she has the reader do exercises to help uncover hidden talents and forgotten passions. She tells stories of people who have taken their passions and dreams and turned them into careers and fulfilling lives.

My mom was flipping through it last week and opened up to this excerpt:

Here's a simple test to discover whether or not you are working with passion: Are you in a more or less loving mood or attitude when you are working? Does the work improve your relationships? Cause you to whistle or hum? Make you smile? Help you like yourself more?

Jess Lair wrote about Picasso. "You couldn't tell Picasso's work from his play." wrote Lair. "One minute he would be playing with his kids. The next minute he would be playing with his wife. And then he would be drinking wine and then playing with his paintings. It was all just love, love of his wife, love of his family, love of his friends, love of his work. He just floated back and forth between activities without any thought to there being a division or a gap."

I believe that would describe all people who have found their passion and live it. And rare as it may be right now, I'm stubborn enough to believe that we should not stop searching until our own lives can be described the same way as Picasso's.

When she finished I made some comment about how that it was unrealistic to live like this. That there would always be things that had to get done that would be less than enjoyable. I was actually pretty negative about it.

Today while reading further into the book and thinking about it some more I tried to think about people I know that live even remotely close to this and I couldn't think of anyone and then I remembered reading A Day in the Life of Dhrumil on We Like it Raw. Now this guy seems to know have this down pat. He does his work, he has fun and his life seems to be balanced and exactly what he wants it to be like.

So what do you all think? Give me some input on how close to Picasso you live and whether you think it can be done on the personal level and the financial level. What advice do you have or lessons have you learned? What questions do you have about this? Let's have a dialog so we can all learn.

Daily Gratitude

1. I loved being able to sleep in today. It felt so good and my hubby came and woke me up with a cuddle. What a great way to start the day.

2. I loved watching my son hit a home run. He had such determination on his face as he rounded first and then his face lit up and was beaming as he touched home. Pure joy!

3. I am so grateful for a nice warm house. It feels so good to warm up after a day out in the cold.

4 comments:

MARYYX said...

Hey there Michelle

I'm close to finished reading The Journey. Very interesting book. I'm reading it out loud now to my husband. He thinks it's pretty weird. He's a pretty practical sort of guy - and had never heard of many of the concepts in the book before.

But - he's open.

So - as I begin to eat raw foods - what direction would you point me in? I need to get a dehydrator, I think - to fix some transitional sorts of dishes. After juice feasting, I am just so aware of how most of what people around me are eating is dead. What I'm trying to make my main focus right now is staying vegetarian - and working towards staying vegan. Want to keep it high raw.

Tom has been back to a SAD diet while he was getting off the cigarettes - it was stressing him too much to watch what he was eating too. He was going to fast food places. I felt kind of bad about that - because part of the reason he was doing that was because I was juicing, i.e. not fixing meals. Anyways - he says he's about ready to start eating healthy again.

That picture you posted yesterday, of the sunset, is awesome!

Maryyx

Penni said...

First of all, Everyday Raw is amazing. There are so many excellent recipes and the photographs are gorgeous. It's only $14 on Amazon!

I will be praying for you to have inspiration and direction on your future. I quit my job in December of last year and have been taking a sabbatical this year. I am planning on starting to work again this fall as a Natural Health Care Practitioner. So I've been spending my free time taking classes and studying A LOT. I am just learning to trust that my future is coming together just as it should.

Good Vibes coming at you!
Penni

HiHoRosie said...

And I thought our weather was bad! We finally got some much needed heat the past few days so we and our garden were loving that!

I understand where you're coming from that there are things that always need to get done or that seem to interfere then I look at some people who are in tune, making things happen, creating opportunities and seizing them and wonder how do they do that?! I sometimes have to stop and think to myself what am I afraid of? I could be like them too if I want. Learning and obtaining the tools I need along the way. I just need to make up my mind and have faith.

I'm here to learn too - great post Michelle. So much we can learn from each other.

Hope you have a great week!

Lisa (Pixywinks) said...

Great post Michelle. I still haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up. I will have to put a little more thought into it. I would actually LOVE to "be" like Picasso. That sounds like a lot of fun.
XO
Pixy Lisa