Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Red Hot Raw Mexican!

I was never a big Mexican food fan which is funny since my hubby LOVES it. I liked a good burrito, salsa, guacamole, and when I tasted a real, authentic tamale for the first time I was in love! Now that I am eating raw I seem to be turning more to Mexican food to feed me.

Yesterday I made the fajita veggies again and today I put them on a salad with some tomato, avocado, and pumpkin seeds. I sprinkled some lime juice on and the liquid from the veggies and it was yummy!


Then I made some tamales from my new Raw Food Real World cookbook. I've been wanting to try them and I know the recipe is online but I just never got the chance to make them. Well, I dug in today and knocked them out. A little raw food therapy.

It really wasn't that hard. It was just a lot of different steps. I certainly wouldn't make something this time consuming on a regular basis but they looked fantastic and they tasted really nice.

I changed things up a bit because I didn't have the amount of time required to dehydrate the mushrooms and I also didn't have green tomatoes so I used this recipe for the salsa verde. It tasted great. It was a bit watery so I put it in a fine mesh strainer to drain the extra liquid and...yummy. I think I will make this again for eating with Mexican flax crackers. It's a nice switch from normal pico de gallo that I make. I read somewhere that tomatillos are from the nightshade family though so if you are trying to stay away from them, you might want to steer clear of this salsa.

I posted my 101 list today. It is on the right side of the blog, way down at the bottom. I've started a few of them so I feel like I am off to a good start.

I know I just posted today about staying off the computer. It just so happens that there is no one home right now so I thought I would shoot off a quick post before they got home so I could share my fun in the kitchen with you all today. Gotta run!


2 comments:

HiHoRosie said...

Oh my goodness! Everything looks so fantastic! Really! I love love love love Mexican food so I'm salivating over all these dishes.

Lisa (Pixywinks) said...

I love Mexican food too! That looks fantastic!
XO
Pixy Lisa