Monday, May 05, 2008

Getting Out and About



Today's salad had great potential. I thought I was making a salad with wakame but I soaked some arame instead. It was still good but I have to admit that the wakame is better, well at least I like it better. It was still good though.

Here is what I put in the Seaweed Salad:
arame
bean sprouts
1/2 granny smith apple
cucumber
spiralized zucchini
onion
chopped cilantro

Dressing
3 Tbl apple cider vinegar
3 Tbl Namo Shoyu
1 1/2 Tbl sesame oil
1/2 Tbl flax oil
1 tsp agave
1 tsp grated ginger
1 large clove garlic
1 Tbl sesame seeds

I ate this for lunch with some nori rolls. I know, I love them. I can't stop eating them. It's ridiculous. They are the same ones I ate yesterday. I don't know why I keep taking pictures of them since they are always the same. Tee hee :o)

I soaked some almonds and pecans last night so I could make some falafels today. I have been wanting them for quite a while. I whipped them up this morning and put them in the dehydrator. I was surprised how quickly they were done. They finished in half the time I expected. I was planning on having them tonight with a nice tabouli but I forgot that I had planned to go to the local raw food restaurant for a meetup tonight.

I put a few in a collard with some tomatoes, cucumbers and alflafa sprouts for a little snack around 3:00. They were a little dry. I think when I go to eat them for a main dish they will need some kind of sauce. I am not a huge fan of tahini so I don't know what I will do with them just yet.

On my way over to the Borrowed Earth Cafe I stopped off at the Olive tap. It is this cute olive oil shop in downtown Downers Grove. It was so cute but the best part was the owner. What a sweet man. You could just tell that he loves what he does. He has passion and that is contagious.

The oil and balsamic vinegar are in these big stainless steel looking urns with spigots on them. He walked around with me and told me about all of the oils and the types of olives used, where they came from and how they were pressed. He gave me samples of all the different things he had and let me tell you, it was divine.

I ended up purchasing a medium bodied olive oil from Sicily. A big shout out to you Dea!!!! I also got the most unbelievable balsamic vinegar...are you ready for it...pomegranate! OMG it is ridiculous!!! I can't wait to make a salad with it. Woo hoo! I walked out of there with two bottles wrapped up in pretty tissue paper and placed lovingly in a beautiful paper shopping bag. It was such a treat. I guess it should be for the price I paid! Whew, I can't wait for the hubby to get that bill. He won't understand :o)

The meetup was so much fun. I met some great people and had a really nice chat with the owners at the end of the evening. It's a great place and the food is delicious. It has a nice vibe. I like it there. I told Kathy (the owner) that if they ever need an employee to work a bit here and there that I would be open to it. I think it would be fun. Ha, my parents might fall over since I tried so hard to run away from the restaurant business my whole life. This is different though. :o)

I had a burrito to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. It was really good even though it was a bit spicy for my tastes. All of their food comes with 2 or 3 side salads that will vary depending on what they have fresh that day. I was able to eat that and cool my tongue down a bit. It was a lot of food and I ended up only eating half of it which was good because it saved room for the COOKIES!

OK seriously, I don't know what the heck they did to make these bad boys but they were like nothing I have tasted before. They were double chocolate chip cookies. The texture was firm and soft at the same time and the flavor was rich and sweet. Holy cow...so good they should be illegal. I was planning on eating only one but, uh oh, I ate both of them. Shhh, don't tell anyone. Now I know to stay away from them.

When I got home I had my hubby try the burrito and he really liked it. He actually finished the whole thing. I am so happy because now I know for sure there is something he can eat there when we go out. It was good too because I asked him how spicy it was to him on a scale of 1 to 10. He said 5 and I said 8. Pretty good to know how we compare. Now I know how to make his food when I cook for him.

My little Liam was home sick today. It was a bit scary. He woke up screaming and crying at 6:00 am telling me his back hurt. He had a slight fever. I got him back to sleep and then when he woke up again he was still complaining of a sore back. It was mostly on the left so I knew it couldn't be the gallbladder or appendix so I thought maybe the kidneys.

I went with him to the bathroom and watched him straining while he was peeing so I got a bit worried. I took him to the doctor and they did a urinalysis on him. The quick one came back clean so that was good. They are going to culture it but I think it will come back negative too. I found out that he hasn't pooped since Friday though so the straining could just be constipation. I am thinking he has two unrelated things, a virus and constipation. I got him some organic cranberry juice just in case and had him eat some flax crackers and raisins. Hopefully that will get him moving again.

As the day went on his fever got worse. He was bright red, burning up and completely listless on the couch. He kept falling in and out of sleep. I usually try not to give the kids any kind of fever reducer but when it hits about 104 degrees I usually give in and that is what happened tonight. Poor little guy.

Wow, I had a lot to write tonight didn't I? Well, it was great getting out of the house and doing something new and different. When I was driving home I realized how happy I was singing in the car and it made me see that I need to do this type of thing more often. I feel such a bond with so many of you on the Internet but I don't really have any friends locally that are into the same things as me. I am usually the odd one that everyone asks weird questions to. It was great to see that there are people out there who are like me and one of them lives minutes from my house! They get together all the time and they are planning some fun adventures. They want to go camping and to Ravinia for meetups. Now that's what I'm talking about, well not the camping thing but still, how fun. Only my hubby could get me to go camping for him :o) OMG, I can't stop typing. Sorry!
Much love!

1 comment:

Lisa (Pixywinks) said...

Oh man. I'm so glad you had a great day, but a downer Liam is sick. Hope he gets better soon.

I made my nori rolls and oh man, they are so good! I'm taking them for lunch tomorrow, then I'm going to make more for dinner. I'm being such a pig!!! I made them with "rice" and "tuna" and some veggies. YUM!!

I seriously have to get to bed!
XO
Pixy Lisa