Friday, May 16, 2008

Beginning of Gratitude

Photo by Aki Jinn on Flickr
I had an amazingly busy day today. I was going from the moment I got up in the morning. I am in the process of beginning some heavy duty meal planning for my family. When I embarked on my juice feast my wonderful husband took over cooking for the kids. I asked him to continue for a while so that I could get acclimated with raw food cooking and he obliged. Things have gotten super busy in the last week and our cupboards have been bare. My husband doesn't cook the healthiest of meals (bless his heart) and this week has been absolutely atrocious so I just couldn't take it anymore. They have had hamburgers, pizza, pasta, and WAFFLES for dinner this week. We have been scraping by trying to make do.

So I started searching the web looking for easy and somewhat healthy recipes. I found some fun things and I am going to be using my crockpot on really busy baseball days so we can have something besides a box of macaroni and cheese. I know, I know, it's horrible. One day at a time folks. I can't do everything.

My family is not raw, not vegan, and not vegetarian. I am going to be making more salads and fresh veggies to go along with the other meals I make them and I will continue to make my raw meals as well. I don't know how well this will go since it seems to be pretty time intensive. I have created a weekly plan on my computer and printed out the recipes and a shopping list. I will put them in page protectors and if the recipe works out I will repeat them on a regular basis, maybe monthly. Once I have about one months worth I will be able to print them out and go. Hopefully it will be as easy as I think :o)

I didn't have a chance to take any pictures of my food today. What a shame. Sorry to let you all down. I had nori rolls for breakfast. Ha ha, I am a little Ben copy-cat! I had a Mediterranean salad for lunch. I didn't have time to let it sit for 30 minutes so I just ate it. It was still pretty good. I had mock chicken salad in romaine wraps with tomato and cucumber for dinner. Then I had this simple chocolate banana bowl for dessert as a little treat to myself later in the evening. Yum!

Gratitude

I have decided to keep a gratitude journal here on my blog. I think it will be a great way to keep track of this since I am not so good at journalling at home. Each time I post I will end it with 3 things I am grateful for during the day.

1. I am so in love with my husband. I am so grateful that he is such a wonderful man. I love the way he coaches our kids in all of their sports and how he makes it so fun for them. I love when the kids call him Coach Ed and I love the way he plays with them and teaches them at the same time.

2. I am so grateful for the calmness in the house over the last few days. It feels like still waters around here. No drama, just smiling and ease.

3. I was in love with the way the sky looked tonight as the sun was setting. The colors were so deep and gorgeous. Orange, yellow, purple, blue. It was like the most beautiful piece of art one could hope for. I was so grateful to notice it even for the brief moment that I did as I hurried through my day. What a gift.

5 comments:

HiHoRosie said...

Awesome post Michelle! I love the new gratitude section - great idea. You and my hubby are on similar wave lengths I think as he was just talking about this too about 2 mins before I read your post. :) Good reminders to us all to take a moment everyday and express gratitude whether out loud, on paper, online or in our hearts and minds.

It must be hard wanting to keep your family healthy when there's little time and not much interest but like you plan on doing, adding salads or some healthy side dish will be beneficial for sure. I'm not always raw either so I try to make up for it by incorporating more greens (a salad or juice). I feel better physically and mentally if I do.

Best wishes with everything - you must one terrific mama!

Hanlie said...

Your energy and joy just jump off the page (screem?). I love the gratitude journal. Earlier I was thinking how grateful I am for my obesity, infertility and cancer. I would not have pursued the kind of health I am without these things in my life. They have created a wonderful opportunity for learning!

Ben Kaelan said...

You can totally copy me anytime! Did you enjoy nori rolls in the morning? I thought it was a brilliant idea! hahaa.

I'm planning on making some cereal this weekend... the buckwheat cereal from RFRW cookbook.

Hugs! :)

I'm grateful for having awesome blog friends like you! :)

- Ben

Penni said...

I love the gratitude journal. Very powerful and we all need to spend time each day meditating on our many blessings.

My fam is not on the same page as me with their diet either and I am pretty sure that's the real world for most of us. Staying high raw is something we have to really want to do, or we can get sucked back into the seduction and ease of the SAD. I am thankful for friends like you who inspire me to stay on track.

Have a beautiful weekend!
Penni

Unknown said...

Hello Michelle, I came across your blog as I was looking for reactive arthritis myself. Raw food works wonders for me too. Also want to let you in on something I recently found that may be my problem, maybe your problem too with the variety of symptoms you have. Do you have mercury "silver fillings" amalgams in your teeth? I have an auto-immune Ankyloosing Spindolytis. Many people with a many sordid symptoms including autoimmune get better after getting all the metal, but especially mercury amalgams out of their fillings and crowns. I am getting my first amalgam removal on Monday. I hope the holistic dentist will take them all out, that same day. Mercury fillings have led to many auto-immune diseases. Also look up cilantro pesto, chlorella and Klinghardt (sp?) protocol. Chlorella binds and cilantro moves mercury out of the body. Some of symptoms of Mercury are fatigue, flourscent sensitivity, joint pains, etc... It crosses the blood brain barrier and is found in all alziemer patients' brain autopsies. It reduces kidney function and creates havoc for the thyroid. It also causes memory lapses and brain fogginess. Look into it if you are still trying to find the answer...Speedy recovery to you. Best