Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Magic of Leftovers

When I was a young, growing up in the restaurant business I never had leftovers. I ate fresh, to order food for every meal, everyday. When I got older and moved in with my ex I couldn't stand the thought of eating anything that was leftover. He would eat things that sat in the fridge for a week. My current husband is the same way and they both think I'm crazy.

Once I started buying organic food I had a change of heart. The darn stuff is so expensive that I don't want to throw anything away. Slowly but surely I got used to the idea of eating day old food and now I can even make it to 3 days! Pretty amazing huh?

So today my lunch was quite a strange combination of things I found in the fridge. It was a nice lunch and it was surprisingly tasty. I took some romaine lettuce and red cabbage. I used 1/2 an avocado and some leftover marinara for the dressing. Then I topped it with my leftover rice from yesterday. It's not in the picture but I sliced up some olives and that made it really good.

For my afternoon dinner I had nori rolls again. It's funny, they were good but not as good as they were the other day. How is that possible? I ate them at my son's baseball game in the bleachers.

When I got home I made an avocado, tomato, spinach, onion sandwich on the bread I made in the dehydrator. It was really good. I enjoyed it so much. I should have taken more pictures but honestly I don't think about it at night. It is usually my lunch that gets photographed.

I was planning on making a big Mediterranean meal for tomorrow with hummus, falafel, tabbouleh and tzatziki but I am not sure if I will be able to. My little guy is off school and the others have a half day. I am going to yoga in the morning and then to the movies with them. Then I have 2 baseball games and a volleyball game to try and watch all around the same time. Doesn't leave much time for fun in the kitchen. We'll see how I feel tonight. Maybe I can get some of it done. If not, I will have something else. Who knows what it will be.

1 comment:

Hanlie said...

I love leftovers, but the way we're eating now doesn't really allow for leftovers. I'm really trying to make just enough for one meal, but sometimes there's some salad left over, which I'll have the following day. Of course when I cook soup, I make a lot and freeze portions.