Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Mexican Fiesta


Dinner tonight was delicious. I was so thrilled with it as usual lately. I decided to make this because yesterday my husband was telling me how much he is enjoying eating healthy but that he comes home and ends up eating poorly because it is easier. He said that often he doesn't even feel that good after eating dinner but it's just too hard to make something different.

The problem is that we have such different tastes in food. He wouldn't be caught dead eating nori rolls or much of what I love. He tasted my pate and he didn't like it. I tend to be able to eat what he likes but not the other way around. He loves, loves, loves Mexican food so I know I can make him happy if I serve him up something spicy.

So tonight I made fajita vegetables from The Complete Book of Raw Food . The flavor was really nice, spicy and flavorful and the vegetables were soft but still had a nice bite. I also made a Spanish "Rice" from Gone Raw. This was a little bland but still good.

I ended up putting it into a collard wrap with sliced avocado for a taco. It was messy but good. In end I just ate it by itself. I should have made some tortilla wraps but I didn't think about it until it was too late and I didn't have 6 hours to dehydrate them. Next time.

My husband ended up not liking the "rice". He doesn't like cauliflower so I knew it was a stretch but her put the avocado and vegetables in flour tortillas and he really liked it. He ate it all up. Success! The good thing is that the vegetables are pretty easy to make so I can whip that up easily for him to keep him happy. I will probably make a double batch next time.

Fajita Vegetables
By Chad Sarno

1 1/2 cups thin strips of red bell pepper
1 cup thin strips yellow bell pepper
1 cup thin strips of zucchini
1 TB minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 TB minced oregano
3 TB lemon juice
3 TB olive oil
1 1/2 TB chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt

Toss all ingredients together in a bowl. Marinate for up to 1 hour or dehydrate for 2 hours to soften and warm.

I used Spanish onion instead of yellow bell pepper and I didn't have any fresh oregano so I used dried. The recipe says it serves 6. My husband and I ate the whole thing. Oops!

Spanish Rice
Makes a large bowl. Can easily be halved. Keeps well for a few days.
This recipe is taken from How We All Went Raw by Charles Nungesser and Stephen Malachi

Ingredients
1 head cauliflower, grated in a food processor
4 green onions, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
¼ cup cilantro, diced
1 avocado, mashed
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
½ tablespoon sea salt
¼ cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil

Mix together well and serve.


3 comments:

Hanlie said...

Wow, I'm definitely coming to dinner one day! You are making such interesting food... I'm not really into "cooking", so we're just munching away on salads at the moment. My husband is very easy to please!

Lisa (Pixywinks) said...

Dang. Can I come and live at your house? I'll wash dishes or something for some food. Oh, and I'm pretty good at chopping veggies too!
XO
Pixy Lisa

MARYYX said...

Hi Michelle
You've given me an idea for my hubby.

He's still not ready to go completely into juice - but he's okay with raw meals. In fact he enjoys them.

My son told me that while I was in Kansas they took Tom out to a Mexican restaurant - and he ordered a completely vegetarian meal. Not raw, in that situation of course - but the fact that he did that indicates major change in thinking is taking place.

So - is this a new blog?

maryyx