Friday, January 18, 2008

Winter Break


The weather is COLD and we got just a hint of snow. The skies have been gray and I have been seriously missing the sun. I am leaving for Florida in just two days! I can't wait to feel the sun on my face and to see the green foliage and the beautiful blue ocean.

The problem is that every year our family goes to Florida during the winter. I know we are so lucky to be able to do it and it is a wonderful break from the winter which I am not a fan of at all. I know it doesn't seem like a problem right? Well it is actually the beginning of my inner turmoil. It seems that once I get in the warmer climate it makes me feel like I am living in the wrong part of the world. I begin dreaming, scheming and planning my big move somewhere warm. It is such a waste of energy because it is not possible for me to move. It doesn't stop me from trying to come up with some way to make it happen or from feeling unhappy about my plight in life. (hmmmm, victimization?)

Every fall I begin thinking that "this will not happen to me this year!" I have even had themes such as last year's "Embracing Winter". I spent my time appreciating the sunsets, the snow, the frost on my windows. All the things that good winter lovers enjoy. It only worked until about January and I was over it.

I have lived in this climate my whole life and never truly have never enjoyed it. I was the girl who would start off walking to the sled hill to join her friends only to turn around and head back home. I was the girl who would never make a snowman, ice skate or ski because she hated the cold so much. Winter and Michelle just don't mix.

So I embark on yet another trip into the glory of a tropical climate. The sun, the surf, the sand and gentle breeze. The swimming, boating, beach bumming and warm weather fun. I am excited about the 5 day break and a bit nervous about the let down of returning home. Maybe this year will be different. :o)

Today I ate a delicious green smoothie for breakfast, and some collard wraps using my cheese from yesterday and whatever veggies I had in the fridge. I made some green juice and shared the wealth with the kids that were in the house. Ha ha, they did not like it very much. My son's friend started gagging and I got a little worried he would have some issues but he kept it down. The funny thing is that it tasted sooo sweet to me that I couldn't believe they didn't like it.

I am still on track with my 21 day challenge and I am beginning to think that I maybe I should have chosen things that were a bit harder because it has been such a breeze. Hmm is that weird or what? I take that back. I am doing great and I am so proud of myself!!!
Picture from pseudoserious on flickr

No comments: