Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Color Freak


I am a color freak! I love color. When I am preparing raw food for myself I notice that I am so driven by the color of the foods. I am thinking of the taste of course but I find myself thinking "hmmm I have green, orange, white, and brown in this salad. Red would be beautiful."

My favorite addition to a salad these days are pomegranate seeds. Not really for the taste because they sort of disappear in there but the color is fabulous! I love that dark, vibrant shiny red color peeking out from behind my lettuce. Ooh, it makes me crazy just thinking about it.

See what I mean? How crazy am I. The other day I was taking the seeds out of a pomegranate and going on and on about the color of them. I realized that I was out of control and said to my hubby something like, "I don't know what my problem is with color of food." He just smiled a smile that says "Yeah, I have no idea what your problem is." My next sentence was, "Seriously, look at the color of these seeds!" He just laughed.

One area that this color addiction gets me into trouble is in my smoothie preparation. This morning I had pineapple, coconut water and spinach. That combination makes a dark, rich green color that I get jazzed about. The thing is I had some strawberries that were in the fridge and needed to be eaten so I added them in. I thought about the color change so I only put a few in so it wouldn't turn brown (which I hate, hate, hate). Well it turned this yucky green color, kind of like split pea soup which for me is BAD. UGH! Foamy green pea soup.

I am a slave to color.

No comments: