Monday, June 02, 2008

I am still here everyone!

I just wanted to drop a quick note to thank everyone for the lovely support I received from all of you. Hugs and kisses to everyone!!!

I dragged my sorry self to the doctor's office on Friday. They said my symptoms sounded like something called reactive arthritis. Apparently after a bacterial or viral infection you can sometimes get an arthritic flare up in the joints that can last 4-6 weeks. Of course they prescribed some drug for me. I asked if I needed the drug to get better or if I would get better on my own. His reply was that I would get better but he wondered how I would function for 4-6 weeks while I waited. I just smiled.

When I looked up reactive arthritis on the Internet I found something completely different from what he told me. Ho hum, it is so irritating.

He ran some blood tests "just to be sure." I don't know what he ran but I asked him to check my B12 levels and I told him that I went vegan about 6 months ago. He decided to also check my iron levels. I should get the results of these tests on Monday.

I called my family and told them what was going on. I was honest for the first time and told them all the things that have been wrong with me for the past...I don't know...many years. I never really want to talk about it so I never tell anyone much of anything. I find it rather annoying to have so much attention payed to my feeling crappy. I truly hate it!

And I know they mean well but I swear to God, my mom called me 12 times that first day to "check up on me." My dad called a bunch too and we had to talk about it incessantly. UGH! I really like to make light of it and go about my business and do my best. That is really hard to do when every half an hour someone is calling to talk about how shitty I feel. Oh well, like I said, I know they mean well and I am sure they are worried so I try to be patient.

I have a full physical scheduled for Wed. My dad was very adamant that I go the medical route to see what is exactly wrong with me. He said he would play my game if I would play his. So I will have the full barrage of tests. Who knows what they will find. After the extensive testing I had done when I was in the hospital a few years ago I don't hold up much hope that they will find anything but who knows.

I have spoken to someone at Hippocrates and given him the times that I would be available to spend 3 weeks there. Now I just have to see if they have any openings. My dad is totally supportive of me going and my mom is willing to help with the kids so I can go. She said that they would find a way to make it work. So, we shall see what happens.

I don't know why I can't sleep tonight but I am not the slightest bit tired and it is almost 1 AM. I feel like I am beginning to get my mind back a bit. Not so fuzzy. I am definitely feeling better. Not 100% but I can now walk up the stairs without much problem and going down the stairs is only a little funny looking. I am also waking up less in pain each night. I could definitely make it without drugs feeling like this. I am not sure how long I could have made it feeling like I did before though so yippee for me. OK, well I am going to make myself go to sleep so I guess I will sign out.

Thanks again for all your support!!
xoxo

6 comments:

RAW FOOD R&R: Rations & Rational said...

Hi Michelle,
I know how frightening it can be to experience our bodies being out of sorts and doing these weird things. A year ago I was having these major chronic fatigue-like days that I was so knocked out I couldn't lift an eyelid or get up to pee, and I was getting something like hives that had me waking up crying in itchy madness all over my bod every night. It went on for about a year here and there and disappeared now since almost a year ago - no signs of it. But in the midst of it I thought I was seriously seriously mysteriously ill. I was SCARED. Sometimes it's just "who knows" for a while and then goes I guess. I hope you don't worry too much like I did. I think I made myself sicker some days with fear. I feel great now. You are meant to feel great too baby. You can do it!

HiHoRosie said...

I understand what you're saying about being private with health issues but one good thing is you know w/o a doubt your family cares!! ;) Hang in there. Hope all goes for you. Keep us posted.

Pearly said...

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better!
My best,
Judi

Penni said...

Michelle...I am so happy that you've had a little relief from the worse of your symptoms. I will be really eager to hear about your blood tests and see what they show, if anything. WE all worry a bit about the b12 issue being vegan and raw. I am sending love and wisdom your way.

xoxo...Penni

Hanlie said...

Wow, I've missed a lot! I'm sorry to hear you're unwell... but you seem to have the right attitude and support. Good luck, my friend!

Ben Kaelan said...

Sending happy healing thoughts your way, Michelle. Big hugs. You might want to take this time to practice doing lots of positive affirmations about your health to offset the negative ones that are occurring from discussing your health in a negative way with your parents.

Joints apparently represent the changes in direction in life and the ease of these movements. Arthritis is about feeling unloved, criticism and resentment.

Louise Hay has this one for arthritis:

"I am love. I now choose to love and approve of myself. I see others with love."